

I had my first experience with making salsa on Saturday. After spending all day chopping vegetables I realized I did have an attachment on my food processor that would work aaargh!!
I tried 2 recipes I got of line and one I hated, while the other I loved. Too bad that the bad one made twice as much. I tried a green salsa that I loved and I thought I'd share the recipe.
Tomatillo Green Salsa
5 cups chopped tomatillos
1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
1/2 cup seeded, finely chopped jalapeno peppers
4 cups chopped onions1 cup bottled lemon juice
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin, optional
3 tablespoons oregano leaves, optional
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2O minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.
Yield: 5 pints
You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos
I used green tomatoes and it turned out great. I ended up chopping the cooked product in my food processor anyway in order to make it more juicy and only got 3 1/2 pints in the end. This salsa was so good I almost want to use this for all the salsa I make this summer. I will however use rubber gloves while I slice the hot peppers (my hands were burning the rest of the day!)
Ha! I am laughing at your adventures. Did we ever tell you about making 2 whole batches of applesauce from the green apples that grew on the tree in our back yard? Well, we discovered it was really a red apple tree. That applesauce needed LOTS of sugar!
ReplyDelete