I kind of figured no one would really want to hear more about my garden, so I have been refraining to blog about it. However I got a request so any one who doesn't care is welcome to skip this entry!

Aaron was my spokes model for this garden edition. Here he is showing off the butternut squash plants that are overtaking the backyard, but I am not complaining, it means that we will have lots of butternut squashes - yum! I am excited because I think they are ready to pick and so tomorrow I am going to have a picking frenzy.

This is the beans and corn again. I have pretty much given up on the beans because they are so tough to eat. Since we have such a long growing season here though I am have planted a new variety of seeds and hopefully they will have enough time to give us some yummy beans. We have gotten about 17 ears of corn, which is pretty good because I was told we would get none. I also kind of forgot about thinning them out to 1 ft spacing instead of the 6 in planting recommendation so that should also have slowed them down. The corn in succession planted so the first two rows are done but the next two rows will have corn ready to eat probably next week. I sure love corn on the cob.

These are the hot peppers, cantaloupe and summer squash. I thought the summer squash was past it's prime because the squashes were getting smaller and smaller. One day I had an epiphany that it they were probably just crowding and shading each other - so I pulled one older plant out and it made all the difference. I just made salsa last week and took all the hot peppers that were ready and near ready to use, then when I wanted to make more salsa I bought some peppers thinking there was no way that I would have enough -- I was wrong; I guess it doesn't take them long to grow. Our cantaloupe (musk melon) has about 8 large fruits and a bunch of small ones starting.

Here is my spokes model again, here to compare his height with that of the tomato plants.

These are 3 of our cantaloupes, but we have one that is twice that size and nearly ready to pick -- I think.

This is my favorite Aaron pose picture. He picked a tomato and wanted a picture of it but you have to also note the beautiful bell pepper plants behind him - that are taller than him (ok they do start a little higher off the ground, but still!)

Isn't that garden bounty beautiful! All of the plants on the counter were picked on just on Saturday. The funny thing is even after spending 2 Saturdays in a row canning I still just think as I work "well next year I can plant more!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment