Sunday, June 28, 2009

5 Is Enough

So in a moment of insanity I decided having 9 kids over on Emma's birthday would be great. The part that was hard was it was the second day in row that 2 kids spent the night, and a 3rd joined the second night. So by then my kids were getting kind of tired and there was just a lot of chaos.




Rebecca and Nick spent the night with Katie and Nathan on Wed. night. Then on Thursday morning we walked at the Military Park at 8 am. We walked 3.4 miles in 90 + degrees plus humidity. The kids all did relatively well, but I forgot that that would wear them out on top of not sleeping well to make them more impatient and cranky with each other.

Then I needed to make Emma's cake. It was a little bit frustrating because Emma wanted attention and I was busy but so were the two older kids. Fortunately she took a nap part way through the process. Then none of the kids wanted to go outside (and I couldn't blame them much) so they were all under foot.


By lunchtime I was ready to be done but we still had a whole night to go. I couldn't even think straight in order to make lunch so I took the kids school McDonalds coupons and headed out. It was fun and we even ran into the Allens and Taylors and their kids there. Nick left for a few hours after lunch and then in the afternoon we went swimming. When Nick came back, his brother Josh came too so that Aaron would have someone to play with.


Friday morning Morgan joined the group too. I started the day thinking I would be more laid back and not try to get much done so that I didn't get frustrated. I did well until about 9 am when in effort to be fun and cool I helped everyone decorate a cupcake with the left over fondant. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get through everyone. Mostly it was fun, and luckily Emma slept through most of it. But that left me feeling the need to go to my room after cleaning up -- not to jump right in to making lunch for 9 kids.




I ended up making Grilled cheese sandwiches for what felt like a table full of hungry baby birds. It wasn't too bad but we did go through almost 2 loaves of bread. Rebecca left at 2:00 and Morgan and Katie left at 2:30 (Katie ended up spending 2 nights at her house and today was a sleepy fallout day!)

The rest of us headed back to the pool that afternoon. It was a little hard to keep track of everyone because it was very busy that afternoon. I also had to wake Matthew up from a nap in order to go, so he spent the first half hour trying to sleep on me in the pool. Nathan and Nick looked like they were having a great time. For once there were a bunch of older kids and there and they were all playing baseball in pool.






I have pictures of all the kids (except Katie somehow she ran off before I got a picture!) and their creations. I think they did great because they each came up with their own ideas. Some of them looked at pictures from a book and some just make it up out of their head. Here's what they made: Nick - bull dog, Nathan - fox, Rebecca - butterfly, Morgan - T-rex, Katie - dimetrodon, Josh - copied a toy robot dinosaur, Aaron - triceratops (his picture is at a weird angle because I really liked the eyes and wanted to be able to see them), Matthew - dolphin (later he noticed that it didn't have eyes and we added them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment