Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Garden




While I am sure I will take ample opportunity to share exciting moments in my children's lives: bragging about them, laughing at them, enjoying their good choices, complaining at their bad, right now I want to brag about my garden.
This is what it looked like the second week of April when we planted it. We made our boxes earlier in the year and with the wonderful help of Sharon Cochran, we filled them up with Gin Trash (free composted leftovers from a cotton gin -- amazing growing medium!!)
It is embarrasing to admit but while I majored in horticulture, I have only tried to have a vegetable garden twice and failed both times (one when I was still in high school and the garden had no sun, and one when I first moved to Mississippi and it rained a ton and rotted all of my plants.

We planted tomatoes: roma, slicer, and cherry (although only 1 out of 3 plants actually is cherry), corn, summer squash, butternut squash, beans (although I don't like the variety, I guess there's always next year!!), bell pepper, sweet banana pepper, jalepenos, pimentos, cucumber and cantalople. I figured I'd be happy to end up at least with a few tomatoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment