Thursday, May 6, 2010

Garden Update

Emma is my little watering helper. This day I "helped" her water herself, and then she took over like a pro.
I finally have some cauliflower and broccoli growing; the plants are huge but up until the other day I could see no signs of florets. I also finally realized that I could just use our old tomato cages for my peas and as soon as I put them out the peas took off and we even have a few pods.


This little plant is Andy"s pride and joy. It's a tomatillo that he is growing from seed. It has a little bit of catching up to do.





Our peppers and tomatoes are already flowering. Our grape and cherry tomatoes even have cute little tomatoes on them.







The strawberries are a little disappointing. There have been a few strawberries but they are pretty small and usually get pecked at by birds.
My beautiful beans. In my missing blogs you would have seen the patches where neighborhood cats have been digging up seeds and plants and pooping in my garden AAAHHH!!! Since then I have planted more seeds and they have come up and filled in most of the holes. I also put out crushed red pepper to keep the cats out and it seems to have worked - at least for now.
My broccoli is so huge you can't even see the 2 ft tall peas behind them. My spinach is great and we have even been eating it - Katie is a pro picker. My lettuce is finally growing some and Katie's cabbage is gargantuan.
These are the beautiful tomatoes, with a little tiny butternut squash off to the side -for some reason he is having a hard time. Since my last post Andy added pine straw mulch to the tomato and pepper gardens. At first it looked like a pine tree threw up on the garden but it has since compacted and looks pretty good.
Here are all our peppers the 3 summer squashes that already have buds on them, and the one cucumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment